How many muscles are in the human body? Approximately 640 skeletal muscles.
How many muscles are in the human arm? Exclusive of the shoulder muscles, the human arm has 23 muscles or teamed muscle groups. These are loosely grouped according to their position in the arm – upper or lower, anterior or posterior – and by their function.
Which muscle group is most commonly looked over? The Forearm
When we go to the gym we have a tendency to only work the muscles we see when we flex. You know…the ones that make you look really good in your gym selfie. But don’t forget the small muscle groups that help us pick up heavier weights, such as the forearms. Do you ever want to go heavy on your deadlift, yet your grip gives way? Work out the FOREARM! “But I never see anyone else working the forearm…” Maybe you should start the trend! There are several ways to do this. Here is one you can do at almost any gym or even at home if you have the equipment.
Palms-up Barbell Wrist Curl over Bench
- Start out by placing a barbell on one side of a flat bench.
- Kneel down on both of your knees so that your body is facing the flat bench.
- Use your arms to grab the barbell with a supinated grip (palms up) and bring them up so that your forearms are resting against the flat bench. Your wrists should be hanging over the edge.
- Start out by curling your wrist upwards and exhaling.
- Slowly lower your wrists back down to the starting position while inhaling.
- Your forearms should be stationary as your wrist is the only movement needed to perform this exercise.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- This exercise can also be performed sitting down by using your thighs as a resting position for your forearms. Your wrist can hang over your knees and the same movements as mentioned above can be performed.
- You can also use a dumbbell instead of a barbell.